Wednesday, October 6, 2010

#311 Mexican Pasta with Tomatillo Sauce and Meatballs


Have you ever had a tomatillo? Have you ever seen one? There look like unripe green tomatoes. They are enveloped in a loose green husk. They are a staple in Mexican cuisine, and can be found most places. When you buy or make salsa verde, that is what it's made from. They are not tomatoes and don't taste like them. They are in the gooseberry family (I don't know what a gooseberry is), and they are tart like an apple. When you use them you are supposed to peel them, but I didn't with dinner tonight and they tasted just fine. So, for dinner. I loved loved this. It had a super different flavor coming from tomatillos not tomatoes. The jist of it is, it was fettuccine pasta with meatballs. The meatballs had cilantro and allspice, thyme, scallions and some other stuff in them. Bake the small meatballs. While they are baking make the sauce by cooking 20 chopped tomatillos and blending them in the blender if you want a smooth texture. Add chicken stock, more cilantro, SPOG (salt, pepper, onion, garlic) and cook til creamy. That's my new word! I didn't feel like typing all those four ingredients so I will just say SPOG! I am awesome! Rachael Ray has EVOO, I have SPOG! See, I can be cool too! Okay I am losing track. So, coat the cooked meatballs with the sauce and then toss the fettuccine with the sauce and meatballs. When you plate it, shred LOTS of Manchego cheese and you have yourself one weird tasty green meal fit for a Grinch!!!

1 comment: