Tuesday, June 22, 2010

#153 Southwestern Pasta Bake


Well today I skipped over to #153 for a reason that I can't remember, but I will go back and do the others. I will be halfway done with this project in less than a month!!!

Okay Southwestern Pasta Bake was just a Mexican mac-n-cheese, which I swore I would never make mac-n-cheese again after my "cheese" meltdown a month into this project. Tonight's dinner was penne pasta with chicken seasoned with all your regular south of the border spices, cumin, chili powder, coriander, garlic, onion, jalapeno(I opted not to put that in), salt and pepper. You make a simple cheese sauce by making a roux (melted butter with a little flour whisked together to make the sauce thick). You add cream, and extra sharp cheddar cheese(add the cheese after the cream starts to bubble) salt and pepper to the roux and whisk until creamy. She combined it all together and baked it just to set it. Pretty simple and straight forward. It would have been much better if I didn't overcook my cheese sauce. It tasted starchy from overcooking the flour. The last time I screwed it up, I put the cheese in before the milk/cream was bubbling and, well if you have been following the whole time.......you remember. Look in my history for recipe #6. "The hideousness of that picture, will haunt my dreams forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment